The Leelanau Conservancy seeks an exceptional writer and storyteller to join our team. This individual must be deadline-driven, with an ability to distill complex scientific and legal information into compelling, digestible, human-centered content; well-versed in digital and print media best practices and technologies; and visually creative. In addition to story writing, the Communications Specialist will coordinate the Leelanau Conservancy’s three annual print newsletters and contribute to the creation of weekly emails and daily social media posts. The Communications Specialist is highly collaborative and works closely with our Communications Director to tell the stories of the Leelanau Conservancy, connect with our target audiences, and maintain the high affinity of our personal, visual brand.
- Exceptional writer and storyteller
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google for Business, WordPress, Mailchimp, Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Buffer)
- Highly visual, with ability to contribute to photography and design concepts
- Ability to build relationships with contractors, volunteers, media, photographers, board, and committee members
- Project management and coordination skills; proficiency with project management software a plus (Trello)
- Photo editing skills (Photoshop/Lightroom) a plus
- Videography skills a plus
- Graphic design skills (Illustrator, Indesign, Canva) a plus
Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, English, Communications, Advertising, or related field and two years experience working in a communications-related role required. Experience working in journalism or in the non-profit or conservation/environmental field preferred.
How To Apply:
Please send your cover letter, resume, three of your most relevant writing samples, three references and salary requirements to [email protected] by February 19, 2021. Click here for the full job description. The Leelanau Conservancy fills positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
ABOUT THE LEELANAU CONSERVANCY: We are one of the nation’s top land trusts. Our mission is to conserve the land, water and scenic character of Leelanau County, Michigan. In our 31-year history, we have conserved over 15,000 acres, including 28 natural areas and preserves, 182 permanent conservation easements and 47 miles of streams and shoreline.